Thursday, March 19, 2020

March 19, 2020


Today's Updates:

Quarter 3 Grades
A bunch of us discussed this today. Here's my expectation for Q3 reporting:

I am absolutely not concerned about grades (or IEP goal updates) right now. I don't want incomplete/unclear grades going out--I want families to focus on keeping it together for now. When we know more about the length of this closure, we'll all work together to figure out...

1. How any student completed work will "count", knowing that the ONLY work that can "count" must only improve a student's grades. 
2. How/if we report on Q3. 
3. How we'll report for the rest of the year. 

We just don't have enough info at this point. 

I'll share this info with families tomorrow, but--as always--wanted you to see it first. Please send any questions my way. THANK YOU for thinking of this and for being so committed! 


Keeping Our Students Learning
Many families are sharing that their students have completed their packets. YAY!!!! I decided to keep posting just one idea per day in the Tip of the Day section of the family daily post, but also have now linked the Family Tools and Ideas for Remote Learning to the Tip section, and it's added to the D114 Remote Learning Page as well. 

What do I need from you?
Please start thinking as teams about how to continue to provide learning structures, opportunities, and resources so our students can KEEP learning. You've done great work in the D114 Team Plans page, so please keep adding to it. 

Erica Barraza will be sending out a Distance Learning Guide in just a bit. This is a one-stop tool kit of resources for you to use as you collaborate for kids' future learning. Erica is happy to help in any way at all. THANK YOU, Barraza, for putting this together! 

There are other district sources to consider (added links below for Palatine 15 and Lake Zurich 95--great examples) as well. The best thing for our students and families is to have continuity and as much structure as possible in their lives. Please let me know what questions your teams have, how I can help support you, or what you need. 

There will more updates coming and NOTHING is decided at all...but I believe it's smart to be thinking past 3/30 at this point. 

In Case You're Interested...
Colleen Robinson shared this with me in case you are interested. She knows the person who is leading this conversation. 

Kudos
Thank you to each and every person (most importantly our Kitchen Staff) who is making sure our kids have food each day. You have NO idea how many emails and calls I'm getting to say "Thank you!" for this. 

Thanks to Jeff Sefcik, Matt Peters, and Emily Armbrecht for letting me share out your daily videos in the Family Update! 

Thanks to Kim VanHoorelbeke and Joan Kantenwein for making sure our kids have new books in their hands. 

To the 4th grade team for meeting (albeit virtually) CTT at 1:00 on Wednesday! 

Thank you to Natalie Udstuen and Michelle Magness for coming up with a brilliant PreK home bag idea. Every single student has what they need to plant flowers...and are getting a new book too. Thanks to Natalie and Matt Peters for dropping these bags off at PreK students' houses to make sure they get them.

Send me your Kudos when you have them to share...we all need our buckets filled a little right now!



Reminders: 
Grab and Go Meals
We'll continue Grab and Go daily at Lotus and Stanton from 7:30-9:00 AM daily. 
Starting FRIDAY, we'll start "3 for Me" which will families to grab 3 days' worth of meals at a time. We will have still Grab and Go open during Spring Break to make sure our kids' needs are met. If you are willing/able to donate your time to help assemble or hand out bags during the closure, please let me know and we'll add  you to our Volunteer List. My only request is that we observe social distancing through all of it in order to keep everyone healthy! :)

Family in Need of a Chromebook?
We've had families reach out to ask to borrow devices for home because they have no way to work electronically--still have some available for pick up at Stanton. 












How can I keep myself energized?


My kids made me a referendum cake last night...we were short one "e", but it sure made my heart smile. Hoping it makes you smile, too. Couldn't have done it without my D114 family!

No comments:

Post a Comment